This vegan sweet potato bread is a not-too-sweet yeast bread that is perfect for toast and sandwiches. It's a great recipe to make in the fall as an alternative to regular potato bread.
While I love a good pumpkin or sweet potato quick bread (maybe with some nuts or raisins added in), I was going for a sweet potato version of potato bread. You know, the soft sliced sandwich bread. This bread is amazing for toast, maybe with some apple butter, as well as sandwiches.
The recipe for this vegan sweet potato bread is a modified version of my vegan Hawaiian Bread, which is a moderately sweet yeast bread. Whipped aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas that behaves like egg whites in baking) gives it an extra fluffy texture and also lends itself as an egg wash before baking.
Well, what are we waiting for...let's get started!
- Apple cider vinegar
- Non-dairy milk (any kind)
- Sweet potato
- Active dry yeast
- Vegan butter (I like Earth Balance)
Stand mixer with balloon whisk and dough hook
While you can make this bread by hand, I recommend using a stand mixer (like a KitchenAid). One of the first steps is whipping the aquafaba, which can be done with the balloon whisk attachment, and then I use the dough hook to knead the dough.
If you're not into sweet potatoes or would like to try this recipe with a different type of potato (I recommend Yukon gold or purple potatoes), you can simply replace the mashed sweet potato with any kind of potato you like instead.
- ⅓ cup aquafaba
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup lukewarm non-dairy milk
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 ¼ teaspoons active dry yeast (1 packet)
- 4-4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegan butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons aquafaba
- Pour aquafaba and vinegar into a stand mixer equipped with a balloon whisk, or a large bowl.
- Start whipping the aquafaba in your stand mixer, or by hand with a whisk until a thick foam forms. You don’t want to whip it all the way to meringue, but it should appear to be a stable foam.
- Continue whipping while gradually adding the milk, water, sugar, and sweet potato.
- Add the yeast and let sit until bubbly.
- Switch to a dough hook, or a wooden spoon if you’re mixing the dough by hand.
- Gradually add the flour and salt, mixing after each addition.
- Gradually pour in the melted margarine as you mix (fat kills aquafaba foam, so don’t add the margarine until after you’ve added flour and formed a dough).
- Add the remaining flour, forming a soft dough.
- Knead in the stand mixer, or turn out onto a floured surface and knead until the dough is combined. You don’t want to overknead the dough. It will be soft and a little sticky, but not wet.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly-oiled bowl, cover with a towel or plastic wrap, then let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, punch down the dough, then lightly knead. It’s okay if it didn’t rise much. It will rise more the second time, and become fluffy in the oven.
- Transfer to a loaf pan, then cover and let rise for 1 more hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove the towel or plastic wrap from the pan.
- Take the remaining 2 tablespoons of aquafaba and brush aquafaba over the dough to create a sheen.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until golden.
- This is NOT a sweet quick bread. It's a sandwich bread with a hint of sweet potato flavor, similar to the sliced potato bread in bakeries and grocery stores.
- If you'd prefer the bread to be sweeter, you can increase the amount of sugar.
- You can replace the sweet potato with any kind of potato for regular vegan potato bread.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Replacement Dough Hook Fits for KitchenAid Mixer, K45DH C Dough Hook for K45 K45SS KSM90 KSM150 K5SS KitchenAid 4.5/5.0 Quart Bowel Tilt Head Stand Mixers
6-Wire Whip Attachment Fits KitchenAid Tilt-Head Stand Mixer Replace K45WW, Stainless Steel, Egg Heavy Cream Beater, Cakes Mayonnaise Whisk
Red Star Yeast Active Dry Env 3pk
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270