My favorite type of grilled cheese is made with fresh tomato and basil, a sprinkle of oregano, and served with some kind of tomato-y condiment. Vegan grilled cheese is only as good as the type of cheese you use, and fresh herbs and veggies only make it better.
Today's Vegan MoFo theme is "5 ingredients or fewer", not including cooking oils or salt and pepper. This grilled cheese recipe fits the bill, and with the tomato and basil, it may be starting to enter panini territory.
The oregano may or may not count as a 6th ingredient, but I couldn't imagine a grilled cheese without a sprinkle of oregano. That's how I always ate it as a child: cheddar cheese and a sprinkle of oregano.
Get the recipe:
- 1-2 teaspoons vegan butter or olive oil
- 2 slices crusty bread
- 2-3 slices vegan cheese, (or ⅓ cup shredded)
- 2-3 tomato slices
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons bruschetta or tapenade
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a cast iron or panini pan to medium heat.
- Spread or brush olive oil or vegan butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place one slice of bread in the center of the pan and add the cheese.
- Depending on the type of cheese, place the top of a pot over the pan to encourage the cheese to melt.
- Add the tomato slices and basil, then sprinkle with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the bruschetta or tapenade on the inside of the other slice of bread, then place on top of the sandwich and press down.
- Flip the sandwich and cook until the cheese melts and the bread is golden on both sides, using the pot lid if necessary to help the cheese melt.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 690Total Fat: 43gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 28gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1000mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 19g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on seitanbeatsyourmeat.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimates.
Serve your grilled cheese with more bruschetta or tapenade, and perhaps a side of soup! One of my favorites is this Tofu Noodle Soup.