Today is National Pie Day (not to be confused with Pi Day). I don’t need an excuse to eat pie, so it seemed like a great day to celebrate. This key lime pie recipe is adapted from the Agua de Jamaica Key Lime Pie recipe in Cheers to Vegan Sweets.
The addition of coconut cream adds a subtle creamy flavor to the tangy key lime base, and the sea salt makes it taste like a slice of margarita. The recipe makes a mini pie, so double the ingredients for a standard-sized pie.
Get the recipe:
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup lime juice, (about 10 key limes)
- 1/2 tablespoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream, or more cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Whipped cream, coarse salt, and lime slices
For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine all crust ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
- If the crumbs are dry or won’t hold together when pressed, add a splash of milk to the bowl.
- Grease a 6-inch pie or tart pan with margarine or cooking spray, then press the graham cracker mixture evenly over the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until firm. Set aside to cool.
For the filling:
- Combine all filling ingredients except the cream cheese and coconut cream in a medium saucepan.
- Whisk to dissolve cornstarch.
- Turn the heat up to medium and stir frequently until very thick, 8 to 9 minutes.
- Turn off heat, then stir in the cream cheese and coconut cream until smooth.
- Let sit for a minute, then pour into prepared graham cracker crust.
- Cool completely on cooling rack, then cover and transfer to the refrigerator until firm.
- Garnish the pie with lime slices and whipped cream, and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- You can leave out the salt if you prefer.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 206Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 540mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
All nutritional information presented within this site are intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information on seitanbeatsyourmeat.com should only be used as a general guideline. This information is provided as a courtesy and there is no guarantee that the information will be completely accurate. Even though I try to provide accurate nutritional information to the best of my ability, these figures should still be considered estimates.