Move over, PSL. This pumpkin spice milkshake is filled with real pumpkin puree, fresh spices, and 2 shots of bourbon. It’s also garnished with maple cotton candy and served in a scooped out pie pumpkin!
Vegan MoFo: Let’s get boozy!
Today’s Vegan MoFo theme is “Let’s get boozy!” I have a bit of a history with boozy desserts, as I wrote an entire book about them called Cheers to Vegan Sweets, and have posted other spirited foods on this blog such as this Bourbon Cookie Cake, Peppermint White Russian, and Homemade Tiramisu.
The Bourbon Pumpkin Spice Milkshake shall join those ranks. It’s sweet vanilla ice cream blended with fresh pumpkin puree, pumpkin spices, and a couple of shots of bourbon, served in a scooped out pie pumpkin if you desire.
I had a drink at a cocktail bar in my neighborhood that was garnished with housemade rosé cotton candy, and since then, I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate cotton candy into drinks and desserts. As I was thinking about ideas for pumpkin drinks, we got some of this maple cotton candy from New York in a care package, so clearly, it was meant to go with this milkshake.
This adult milkshake comes together so quickly, and the spices can be customized to your tastes. The more nutmeg you add, the more this milkshake becomes reminiscent of a pumpkin-y eggnog in texture and flavor. If that’s not your jam, maybe hold off on the nutmeg, or add more cinnamon and ginger instead.
If you’d like to try your hand at making some of the ingredients from scratch, you could make homemade vanilla bean ice cream or homemade pumpkin puree.
To roast a pie pumpkin or butternut squash, start by preheating the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with foil. Meanwhile, halve your squash and scoop out all of the seeds and pulp, then place the halves face down on the prepared baking sheet. Cover with another piece of foil and bake for 45 minutes (butternut squash will probably take longer), or until the pumpkin is fork tender. Let cool, then scoop out the pumpkin flesh into a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth, then use in recipes where pumpkin puree is called for.
Get the recipe:
Pumpkin Spice Milkshake with Bourbon
- 1 1/4 cups vegan vanilla ice cream
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 4 teaspoons maple syrup or agave
- 1 pinch of ground clove and allspice
- Freshly ground nutmeg to taste
- 2 shots bourbon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 scoops ice cream
- Non-dairy whipped topping
- Combine all ingredients except garnishes in a blender.
- Taste and adjust flavors as needed.
- Pour into two glasses and garnish as desired.
- Trader Joe's makes a great coconut whipped cream in a can, as does Reddi-Wip, but I've had issues with the Reddi-Wip nozzle getting clogged. No such problem with TJ's! Another favorite vegan whipped cream is So Delicious Coco Whip, which comes in a tub like Cool Whip.
- If you'd like to serve this drink in a pumpkin, find and wash a small pie pumpkin. Cut out the top as if you were going to carve the pumpkin, then scoop out all of the seeds and pulp. Rinse with cold water to wash off any loose stringy bits, then pat dry before serving.
- Save the pumpkin to roast and make more pumpkin puree, and the seeds for roasting!
This milkshake is so rich, you may even want to share.