Cornmeal Crust Tart Cherry Galettes
These cherry galettes are a quintessential summer dessert or breakfast treat with a lightly sweet cornmeal crust, and a touch of flavor from the lime zest and black pepper. We picked some tart cherries from a local farmers market that work perfectly in this recipe, but regular sweet cherries (or another berry) would also be great.
Chicago has been really hot and sunny this past week, so I’ve been turning on the oven very selectively. Try making these galettes in the early morning or late night for a perfect summer treat.
Get the recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/3 cups halved tart cherries
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Turbinado sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper.
- Cut in the margarine and rub into the dry ingredients with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse pebbles.
- Mix together the cold water and apple cider vinegar.
- Gradually add the cold water, until a soft dough forms. You may not need to add all of the water. Divide the dough into 6-8 pieces (depending on how big you want the galettes).
- In a small bowl, mix together the cherries, cornstarch, sugar, and lime zest.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- On a floured surface, roll out a ball of dough to 5-6 inches in diameter.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the cherry mixture in the center.
- Decoratively fold over the edges of the circle, and place the galette on the baking sheet. Repeat with each piece of dough.
- Sprinkle the galettes with turbinado sugar and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden.
What are your favorite things to make with cherries?
📌 Pin it for later: