Vegan White Russian
The weather outside is frightful and the best cure is staying inside with blankets, Netflix, and a warm drink. The season is almost magical until the windchill is -15°F or you have to trudge through ice and snow (thankfully Chicago is snow-free so far!) to get to the grocery store. I’m not a fan of winter or cold weather, but I will not complain about a drink topped with whipped cream and mini marshmallows. So, sit down and enjoy a vegan White Russian (with peppermint!)
This Peppermint White Russian takes the cake with a black cocoa and vanilla sugar rim, and mountains of whipped cream and marshmallows. Serve it hot or cold, or make a White Russian-hot cocoa hybrid!
This drink contains quite a few components and ingredients you probably don’t happen to have in your kitchen. That’s okay, because the recipe is more of a guideline. The black cocoa and vanilla sugar rim is delicious as is, but you could omit it or make substitutions where you see fit (agave nectar and a splash of vanilla extract could replace the vanilla bean paste!). I’d hate to make you go out in the cold. Or make hot cocoa instead of a vegan White Russian if you don’t drink alcohol. ‘Tis the season!
Get the recipe:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2 teaspoon black cocoa powder
- Vanilla bean paste
- Peppermint schnapps or peppermint extract
- Black Cocoa and Vanilla Sugar
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- 3/4 ounce peppermint schnapps
- 1 ounce Kahlua
- Non-dairy creamer, milk, or a mix of both**
- Vegan whipped cream (I used So Delicious Coco Whip!)
- Vegan mini marshmallows (I used Chicago Vegan Foods’ Dandies!)
- Mix together the sugar and vanilla bean paste in a small bowl until the sugar is completely coated and the vanilla bean paste dispersed.
- Add the black cocoa powder to coat the sugar completely. Adjust the amounts of vanilla bean paste and cocoa if the mixture is too sticky or dry. Set aside.
- Thin out a pea-sized amount of vanilla bean paste with peppermint schnapps or peppermint extract. Coat the rim of the glass or mug with the mixture, then dip the coated rim in the bowl of Black Cocoa and Vanilla Sugar.
- Pour all three liquors into the prepared glass.
- Fill the rest of the glass with the non-dairy creamer or milk. If you'd prefer a stronger drink, then use less milk.
The milk can be heated if you want a warm drink. Better yet, replace the milk with HOT COCOA.