This pancake recipe is an oldie but a goodie. The original, non-vegan recipe is from an old cookbook my dad and I used to make pancakes every Sunday when I was a kid. Now I make a vegan version most weekends, or on a Friday afternoon when I go to bed the night before with an image in my head of a stack of 20 (21? 22?) pancakes. That sort of thing needs to be made and photographed, stat.
In this recipe, the applesauce replaces the eggs, and the margarine takes care of the melted butter. You could probably replace the margarine with any cooking oil, but melting the margarine in a cast iron pan before mixing it in the batter adds something special. Go easy on the non-dairy milk of your choice to make a thick batter for fluffy pancakes, or thin out the batter with extra milk for thin pancakes that are soft in the middle and crispy on the edges. Add fruit or chocolate chips…go versatility! But first, let’s review the cardinal rules of pancake.
Tips for Perfect Pancakes
Tip #1: Flip your pancakes when they bubble and the bubbles begin to hold their shape. Don’t wait any longer or you’ll run the risk of burning your pancakes.
Tip #2: Lower temperature, longer cooking time. A high temperature will result in browned pancakes on the outside, but they’ll be underdone on the inside. Similarly, if your temperature is too low, the pancakes will take a very long time to cook and turn out pale and gummy.
Tip #3: A cast iron pan makes for tasty, evenly-cooked, and crispy-in-all-the-right-places pancakes! Or you could use a non-stick pan; just don’t tell me.
Tip #4: Sprinkle chocolate chips, blueberries, or any other add-ins on your pancakes before flipping.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or more white flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups non-dairy milk
- 3 teaspoons margarine
- Combine all dry ingredients, then stir with a whisk.
- Make a well in the middle and add applesauce, vanilla, and soy milk. Stir until almost combined.
- Preheat your skillet or cast iron pan at medium heat, then rub some margarine on one of the pans and melt the rest in the other. Pour melted margarine into the pancake batter and stir until combined.
- Drop by large spoonfuls or pour batter onto the pan and flip when bubbles start to form. Repeat until all the batter is gone.
- Serve with a pat of Earth Balance, pure maple syrup, and fruit.