Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting
I often get a little overzealous when making desserts with unusual flavor combinations, so I had to reel it in a few times with this cake. In the end, the cake and frosting are both pretty basic: a chocolate olive oil cake with strawberry cream cheese frosting, and a little cayenne in the batter for kick. I wanted to also throw in curry! Or rose water! But I think the theme of simplicity with a sprinkle of spice is working in its favor. You best believe I garnished each slice with a grind of smoked sea salt though.
I made a mini cake (6 inches), but the recipe will make a full-sized double-layer cake.
Get the recipe:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne (to taste)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 1/3 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons strawberry extract*
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, salt, and cayenne and mix until combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and then add the olive oil, non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and strawberry jam. Mix all ingredients well.
- Pour batter into two prepared 9-inch cake pans and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes cool before proceeding.
- Whip vegan cream cheese, margarine, and shortening with a stand mixer or hand mixer until fluffy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, mixing after each addition.
- Lastly, add the strawberry extract and whip for 5-6 more minutes.
- Spread strawberry jam between the two layer cakes, then spread and pipe on frosting as desired.