Vegan Cheeseburger Pizza!
Upton’s Naturals recently had Kelly Peloza Photo (i.e., me) create some recipes and photos using their seitan, so I thought I’d share some of my favorites on Seitan Beats Your Meat (see, it’s meant to be!) Upton’s is an important vegan fixture in Chicago: they’ve been making seitan and prepared foods for several years, opened a restaurant in 2013, and have a line of jackfruit coming out very soon. I worked at the Breakroom when I first moved to Chicago, and have been lucky to collaborate with them many times since then. It’s also pretty cool when those collaborations involve cheeseburger pizza.
Love it or hate it (I’m firmly planted in the “love it” camp), cheeseburger pizza uses ketchup and mustard in place of traditional pizza sauce, and is topped with all of the components of a cheeseburger: ground seitan, tomato, onion, pickles, lettuce, and cheddar cheese. For the pizza dough, I’m a fan of the Vegan with a Vengeance recipe, but feel free to use your favorite, or grab pre-made dough from the grocery store. Feedback on this recipe was “you should make this again soon.” So I did.
You can also find this recipe, and many others, on Upton’s website.
- 1 batch prepared pizza dough
- 2/3-3/4 cup ketchup
- Yellow mustard
- 8 ounces shredded vegan cheddar cheese
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 8 ounces (1 package) Upton’s Naturals Ground Seitan
- 1 medium tomato, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1/3 cup pickle slices
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Roll out the pizza dough, then place on a pizza stone or on a baking sheet.
- Evenly spread the ketchup over the dough, like sauce.
- Drizzle yellow mustard over the dough, as desired.
- Sprinkle a very thin layer of cheese on the dough, then reserve the remaining cheese.
- Scatter the onion and pepper slices on the dough.
- Crumble the ground seitan evenly over the veggies, then place a layer of tomato slices over the seitan.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese evenly over the pizza, then grind some black pepper over the cheese.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden. Let cool off for 5 minutes before proceeding.
- Scatter diced onion, pickle slices, and lettuce on top of the pizza. Add more ketchup and mustard, if desired. Finally, let cool before slicing.
So, how do you feel about cheeseburger pizza?
📌 Pin it for later: